The Guilty Pleasure of Love, Simon

Welcome to my first ConsolationBlogPlost™

I've fallen behind schedule for releasing chapters of One More Year, and while I have reasons (some of them even good!) I still feel like I should be aiming for frequent blog-postings, despite the fact that very few people are currently reading them. It's just important to me that I get around to writing them, and it's not very difficult to do.

Warning: Honestly, I might not be handling this issue with the full sensitivity it deserves, but my intention is not, and will never be, to offend anyone or undervalue their points of view or life experiences. (Unless your points of view do that to others, in which case, they're fair game.) So if I say something genuinely upsetting, let me know and I will apologize and introspect on it, and attempt to grow.

Okay, so, online I've seen 2 kinds of opinions expressed online about Love, Simon

  1. It's a masterpiece, transcendental in it's normalcy, heartwarming, great, important.
  2. It's garbage, unrelatable rich-kid nonsense, out-of-touch and everything that's wrong with the gay community, Hollywood (in the case of the movie) and the world.
SO IT CAN GET PRETTY DIVIDED, to say the least.

Since I'm such a bookworm, I obviously purposefully hit the book before taking a crack at the movie. (It took me a long time to get around to either actually, because I'm a fickle consumer of media.) Anyway, they're very different, and I have a hard time figuring out which is better (Yes, better. I liked them both. FIGHT ME.) 

Obviously, there are issues in terms of representation, because Simon is:
  • White
  • Upper-Middle Class (Car as a birthday present upper middle class)
  • From a stable home (Two parents very much in love)
  • Relatively masculine (In the books, he comes across as quirky and nerdy, but in general, everyone is shocked when he comes out.)
  • Not embroiled in any sort of unaccepting culture (Whether religious, political or more general.)
  • Well established friendships with a loving, accepting group of people.
The movie adds some additional ammo, on that front:
  • Nick Robinson, with his boy-next-door good looks and his deep, manly voice. As a casting choice, he kind of glosses over the cute and quirky theater kid vibe of Book-Simon, replacing it with something pretty generic. (Not dunking on NR though - he still brought a lot else to the role.)
  • Ethan, who if I'm remembering correctly doesn't exist in the books. Which is troubling, because the only purpose he really serves in the movie is a sort of gay-punching-bag, to show that homophobia exists in this otherwise perfect world. I have no problem with the inclusion of a femme, POC character - but they really should have treated him better.
  • Completely removing any nuanced discussion about race, which you think would be important in Georgia, USA, but apparently not. The book actually had one or two really well done moments (I thought, anyway) but apparently it was too edgy for Hollywood.
That's the extent of the problems, as far as I can tell. There might be more - yell at me in the comments if I am wrong - but that's what I've managed to gather is wrong in the 'problematic' sense. And honestly, I get it. I do. Representation is so important, and it sucks that there are people out there who have to keep hearing about how great this movie is, and they just can't relate to it at all.

The thing is, I do relate. Not heavily, mind you. I'm not American. I was only at my (very upper-middle class) school on a scholarship, so while I was surrounded by the trappings of upper-middle-class-ness (and a whole lot of whiteness, but we white people in SA get insular like that.) 

But I wasn't exactly a part of it, because I still had to go home and be not-so-middle class.

I also hung out with actual homophobes, because my only options were being the weird pariah kid or spending an obligatory amount of time with people who made me feel bad about myself. I did not have a particularly stable home life.

But I did have a family that would love and support me, no matter what. I had come to a fully-internalised self-realisation about my sexuality, and I wasn't agonising over it. Also, no one had an inkling I was gay. At least, I'm fairly sure they didn't.

But I just couldn't come out. I was terrified. Life wasn't exactly enjoyable at that point. I was too awkward, too different. It didn't really seem like coming out would make anything better. I wanted to cling to the few nice things I had, without anything changing, which I assumed would only be for the worst.

Honestly, Love, Simon captured that, 100%. I get that to some people, his problems are pathetic problems - but they were my problems at the time too, and they CONSUMED me.

Basically, some of the things that Love Simon got SO RIGHT for me were:
  • Your coming out having no reasonable barriers in the way does make it easy. It's not a rational decision. You worry. Also, in terms of media we can get exposed to, coming out can go SO awfully. Even if you're fairly sure your parents are the coolest people in the world, you have tonnes of mental material to work with to create an imaginary scenario where they surprise, betray and reject you. Weirdly, media like love Simon - where being gay can be something that is celebrated - is probably helping people combat that irrational dread. 
  • You're twisted into a knot. Your life, so far, has pretty much rewarded honestly at every turn. You're not a good liar, because you've never needed to be. And now, you have ONE BIG LIE. It takes it's toll. It tears you apart. And because heterosexuality is the assumption, and you 'don't seem like one' and straight people are just as over-sexualised as they always accuse gay people of being - you're constantly fielding questions about girlfriends, and crushes, and fantasies, and you have to lie or avoid all the time suddenly. It wears you down.
  • You're already pretty different. Book-Simon is better at this than Movie-Simon, because he reads a little bit better as a product of his interests, which makes him seem like a bit of a 'different' kid. I'm less sure this experience is universal, but I've come across a lot of nerdy gays like myself, so I think there's something to it. However it is that you sit outside of the 'normal' social hierarchy of high school though, if you already feel like an outsider you're absolutely sure that being the 'gay' kid will just be the final nail in the coffin. If you get shit for being 'Chess team captain' or whatever, you can easily laugh it off, because it's not who you are - it's a little bit harder to do that when it's your sexuality.
Honestly, there's probably a lot more I could fixate on, but those are the three major things that Love, Simon knocked out of the park for me. I don't think the book was perfect, and I don't think the movie was perfect, but man alive, did I feel SEEN.

I'm sorry for anyone who didn't. I really hope they'll get a movie or a TV show out there that makes them feel this way, while at the same time knowing (depressingly) how difficult, or even impossible, a lot of forms of representation still are. And not even for very good reasons - just because the world is a messed up place. 

As a writer, I'm struggling with representation, because there are sensitive issues I just don't trust myself to cover. Honestly, I'm surprised Becky Albertalli wrote about this at all, given that she's never been a young, closeted gay guy. But I'm glad she did. Because it feels important. To me, anyway.





Comments

  1. Hi Bradley, I just threw put a comment on Litero about your latest chapter. I’m AkshunLove (or whatever user name I came up with since I honestly haven’t looked at it twice). I’m 42 or 43, I keep forgetting and I don’t particularly care to remember at this stage. I’m female and straight, but feel more like a gay man inside than a straight woman. I’m definitely not an average female in any sense of the word. (btw, I’m just describing myself because it always helps to know who you’re talking to; I had quite a close friendship with another artist on Instagram for three years before I realised she was a he, and let me tell you, it completely changed the tone of what I had said to him. I suddenly panicked that all my “hey sweetie”s and “you’re welcome, darling”s (very apropos when talking to another woman with whom you are affectionate) had now come across like either a flirtatious prelim to a relationship or a mother figure (both of which are WEIRD). Anyway, I’m a writer too, but I can never finish anything to publish. My stories end up novels, then series, and it just goes on and on, but I am a good writer nonetheless. I comment a fair bit on Litero (under my username; anonymous is such a cop out) and I have read a great deal the gay stories on there for over a decade. If you’re serious about feedback, I’m happy to help. I genuinely like your voice and you do a very good job of expressing who you are through your writing. As I mentioned in my Litero comment—endearing :) Re: Love, Simon. I’ve seen it twice now and I loved it both times. From a hetero point of view, I loved that it was just a nice, normal, romantic story about two boys falling in love and about a normal guy coming out. It’s high past time that homosexuality is represented in media as if its just as normal as hetero. While it’s important to understand the impact of homophobia on history and to never forget, I do feel like 98% of stories that have included homosexuality have written it in the context of either homophobia of hypersexuality. I think it’s time to detach homosexuality from those concepts for good and let it be what it is, which is normal, running the gamut of human experience just as much as hetero does. I started watching Love, Victor, excited to continue the story, but Victor is a very different person (and therefore a different story) and pardon me from criticising the writers, but it was set up like a stereotypical American high school (emphasis on stereotypes) and I lost interest because the supporting characters ceased to be real people and therefore it was hard to invest in them emotionally. John Hughes-does-gay-drama, I think, diminishes the beauty of the message of Love, Simon. I dunno. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bianca/AkshunLove (or whatever you came up with - comment isn't through moderation yet) :D

      It is nice to know who you're talking to on the internet (although who can ever be sure?) but there's probably no harm in some accidental flirting/mothering of an anonymous stranger. At least you get an amusing story out of the misunderstanding.

      I've also had the problem of WIP (Works In Progress) never quite losing that IP part. I'm hoping to overcome that now, and I think I'm doing okay. (Most of this is written. The chore of editing is the main thing standing in the way of releases.)

      If you'd like to Beta Read for me - I'd LOVE to have you on board. I've put links for Chapters 1-5 at the bottom of this page:
      https://bradleyscottisstillalive.blogspot.com/p/how-to-beta-read-and-influence-writers.html
      And will put Chapter 6 there. You can fill out as many as you'd like, but if you could at least fill out the Admin questions in at least one of them, that would really help y record-keeping.

      The 'normality' of Love, Simon is a big selling point it seems, although I don't think all gay media needs to conform to be acceptable, or even enjoyable. What really caught me about Love, Simon, in the end, was the representation of SUBTLE problems that some gay kids can face. There's a point where I feel ignored by gay media because my young life wasn't either idealistic or traumatising, and I think Becky Albertelli did an amazing job of exploring what has, until now, been a no-mans-land in the middle of that. In the mainstream, anyway.

      As for my thoughts on Love, Victor - well! Perhaps I'll even write another blog-post about it. I might even like it more, if I'm being honest. It's messier, and so is life. Simon and his friends felt a bit too insulated from the real world, whereas Victor & Crew are going through all sorts of things, particularly with imperfect parents, which is something I think is important to portray.

      I've yet to start watching Season 2 though, so I'll see how that goes. Season 1 is very unsatisfying as it stands. I don't find Victor particularly likable - he uses a girl for popularity/self-delusion, kisses a boy and kind of messes with his relationship, and then cheats on that girl with that boy. He'll need a redemption arc, in my eyes, and I hope they manage it. I feel like they're coasting on the cuteness of the actor at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I’ll give it another chance. I’ll forgive a lot if the actors are hot 😂 I wonder if it’s worth comparing Love, Simon to other movies that represent non-mainstream, like Secretary did for the BDSM community and then Fifty Shades following on. I absolutely loved Secretary when it came out and though Fifty Shades gave me mixed feelings, it was still an important step in bringing a misunderstood facet of humanity to the mainstream, which is not so far off from what Love, Simon was trying to achieve. I think it’s interesting from a story point of view to compare how Love, Simon, Secretary and Fifty Shades handled things like character development, sensitivity, and how deeply they went into the culture they were trying to represent. Secretary and Fifty Shades were the only movies I’ve seen that didn’t portray BDSM as something deviant and debaucherous and showed how it functions in a loving, otherwise normal relationship. When it comes to writing, I think we can learn from what others have done in the past, even if the subject matter doesn’t directly relate.

      Delete
    3. I’m going to go back and reread the chapters and then fill out the forms. I read your intro to the beta reading page and I just find myself liking you more and more. You think like I do, a lot like me actually :) you’re just a really nice, really sweet, interesting guy who is a deep thinker. I don’t meet many people at all who like me and very, very, very rarely meet people who express themselves through writing the same way I do and who are as humble and intelligent. For me, male intelligence is synonymous with narcissism. Every guy I’ve ever gone out with who was intelligent also felt threatened by me and could never, ever concede that I might be the slightest bit right. It’s very frustrating, so I’ve given up on dating permanently and I’ve been single for over twelve years now. I now prefer it to having to accommodate a person in my life. I like having control over the TV remote, thank you very much 😂 anyhoo, looking forward to the next chapter when it’s ready! Going back to read the old ones now.

      Delete
  2. Bradley: I have been enjoying OMY; aside from the excellent writing it is nostalgic (I lived in Cape Town in the early-70s and left SA after that for London). I attended an all-boys school in Natal and there was absolutely no way that I could have come out even if that had been a thing, which it wasn't. I also endured the army which wasn't nearly as bad as "Moffie" makes out. Our officers and NCOs were no more homophobic than the rest of society; I don't think they were aware that gays existed. They were much more concerned that I was a "kommunis." Anyway happy to support the writing (in a small way) - is that the tea thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Solucia! Yeah, the tea thing is my account on Buy Me A Coffee (But I don't drink coffee, so - tea 😃) and you can support me there if you'd like. I've just put up my first extra, which is an optional bonus scene from another characters perspective.

      Glad to tap into your nostalgia! I myself have unfortunately been keeping away from Cape Town since the pandemic started. (Not far away, but it might as well be on another planet.) So I'm also missing it quite a bit, and will get back as soon as I'm vaccinated.

      It's interesting to hear about your experience in the army, since these days neither being gay or a communist is such a big deal in SA anymore. (I think the SACP is part of the ruling party's coalition now. Not that we seem to get around to much Communism anyway.)

      But anyway, thanks for offer of support, thanks for the lovely comment, and THANKS for reading! 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment